Wednesday 19 November 2014

Day 19 - Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Day 19 - Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Full on gratitude is hard to experience. I don't know if it was the high of hiking through hilly territory, the joy of exploring new territory, happiness that my toe blisters weren't as painful as they've been (oh yeah, I've spared you the pictures) or thankfulness for a time of life when I can do this.

I've been a wanderer of outdoor spaces for a long time. Back in Ontario, our friends would jokingly say "Where in the world is Carmen (Venturi) taking us now?"  for weekend hikes with many kids in tow. The "Carmen Sandiego" computer game of the late 80s took you around the world chasing the said crook. 

We are moving towards more "normal" Okanagan temperatures for November, though it was still -3C this morning. I parked my car on McKinley road and headed north through the bush towards Winfield.  I hesitate to say that I crossed some barbed wire fences and found some meandering roads north. I had done some reconnaissance with Google maps Earth version, prior to leaving.  I was either going to find my way to McCoubrey Road and double back along Finch Road or, go back along the new development on the top of McKinley, which is what I did. Impossible to know how far, but I think I got away cheap today.

Red sky warning this morning
Easy going once I found this road.


There wasn't much rocky terrain which is why this stood out for me.



Looking north west on a crest overlooking Okanagan Lake. The valley cloud is associated with winter is starting to form, though we did get some sun.


What geological forces caused this and why?




Beyond these signs there was a lot of yellow signage around many treed areas with "CAUTION BURIED ELECTRIC LINE BELOW".  Should have taken a picture. 



 Glenmore Ellison Water Improvement District at work along the road leading back to McKinley


Astonishing size to this mushroom. Imagine if it was edible. Anyone know what this is?





No comments: