Saturday 22 November 2014


Day 21 - Friday, November 21, 2014

I wasn't prepared. That should be the motif for this hike. Wasn't prepared for the snow/rain, wasn't prepared for where to go and how far.  Originally thought I could get to Oliver via the Kettle Valley Railroad from Okanagan Falls. Well, at the south end of Vaseux Lake, the rail bridge was no longer there.  Hmmm, should I continue following a well marked trail and hope to eventually be able to cross the river or do I double back?  With darkness falling earlier and earlier, I chose the best option and doubled back to Okanagan Falls. It took me 2 hours to get to that point, and 1 1/2 hours to come back.  I did not see one person on this hike.
Mea culpa, I will now have a poncho added to my pack.

Even though it was a gray day and cool, the sights were extraordinary, and I will return to this mountainous region of the Okanagan.


Big hills line most of the west side of the hike. 


Looking back at some of those hills.



Just before Vaseux Lake is this very large wetland. Yes, it is French for muddy.


I think these are Trumpeter Swans. There must have been 30 or more in groups making disapproving noises that I was there. Bald eagles and maybe Golden eagles were circling above the American Coots.


More astounding rocks. I've read that there are rattlesnakes in this area, but they were staying warm in their hide y holes.


It cleared up for a while and then the clouds rolled back in for another round of rain and snow.


About 3/4 of the way towards the end of the lake is a giant beaver dam along the lake.


This is the end of the lake and you can see where the bridge used to be, the one I was going to cross. Sheeshh!  By my calculations, I hiked about 18 km.


No comments: