Friday 28 November 2014


Day 27, Thursday, November 27, 2014

Many years ago we went for a holiday to Columbia with friends. Our suitcase full of new clothes didn't show up in Cartagena. We had been told that if we went back to the airport later in the day that there was a good chance it would show up on another flight from Toronto. When my husband got back from the airport to the hotel that evening he announced that we probably would never see that suitcase again. I was ready to have a meltdown. He took me by both shoulders and said "We're here now. You can decide to have a good time or a bad time. It's up to you." I chose the former and we all had a great time.

That was a defining moment in my life, one that I repeat to myself now and then when I'm ready to feel sorry for myself.

The reason that I make mention of this is that I was feeling like a loss-luggage-morning. My radio wouldn't work, the trail was not tramped down, large trees were strewn across the trail and my shoes took on water like the Titanic. I thought, Columbia. It helped.

Today's hike was a repeat of day 22, but I went further onto Lakeshore via Gordon and back to KLO road. I was going to take the bus back up, but friends spotted me and I rode in luxury back to my car. Google says I walked 19.1kms.

Layer Cake Mountain in the fog and distance.  I was once told that a footbridge existed here across the Canyon and that these cement structures were the anchors. Would have been an interesting walk across.



Many mighty trees fell with the thick wet snow we had.  Made me think about a certain CBC radio personality who's fall from grace was equally spectacular. 



This 9 year old girl was holding an expensive camera like a pro. 


Saw this beautiful vision, a woman in a long dress and a flowered crown interviewing the young photographer's mother. Wendy McAlpine is doing a project of her own: a portrait a day for 365 days. The interview is for CBC Radio. 

Go check out Wendy's website: http://wendymcalpine.com



Cool ice colours and dramatic trees, lovely.


A bank with a bear mascot.  How does that encourage me to do business with them?


Lucienne from Red Deer and my friend Vreni giving me a ride to my car. Thanks!



Pauline who has been diligent sending emails for the  Central Okanagan Outdoors Club has this as a tag line :"I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."  It resonates with me too.





No comments: